A Bit on the Dream Catcher

The Ojibwa are the first recorded people to use the dream catcher, one of the most intriguing Native American customs. Traditionally, the dream catcher is hung above the place where one sleeps in order to protect them from nightmares. When the sun descends, dreams fill the air. The center has an opening through which pleasant dreams pass and then slide down feathers to the sleeper below, while bad dreams are caught in the webbing of the catcher. Negative dreams that have been seized are destroyed by the time of the first morning sunlight. This dream filtering system, modeled around the spider web because of its similar capturing qualities, is now popular among several cultures.

The legends and designs of dream catchers do vary to some extent.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Dream Catcher Reflection

Image via Free Extras 
The Dream Catcher was originally created for a Journalism project, but it has evolved into something more; it has become a discovery project. I have learned so much about dreaming in this short span of time because of the research I have completed for these various posts. From the stages of sleep to random facts about dreaming I feel like a miniature expert on the subject and the true scientist in me has emerged. 

I have absorbed a lot during this process. Some of the research I have done was pretty extensive for a class project but completely necessary for a discovery project. I have been hogging up the internet in my household lately and I even watched a documentary on Sigmund Freud yesterday (see my post "Sigmund Freud's Interpretation of Dreams Documentary Review"). I am now knowledgeable on various topics of dreaming, some of which I haven't been able to share with you viewers quite yet. I now have my own dream journal and I plan on working towards lucid dreaming (when one is fully in control of their dreams) in my sleep, one of the most compelling aspects of dreaming that  I unfortunately haven't gotten a chance to acquaint you with yet.    


Not only have I learned about dreams and the fascinating science behind them, but I have also learned a lot about being a responsible blogger. Engraved in my mind now is the importance of crediting sources and how easy it is to do that. Finding a credible source may be tricky but once you've got a keeper and you've credited that babe (either by hyperlinking or using a works cited), you feel like a better person. Stealing the ideas of others is plagiarism, a disrespectful and punishable act, and although it goes on constantly over the internet - especially on blogs, that does not make it acceptable. Other than citing sources, I also learned how to have a blog (this is my first that has actually been successful), which is pretty nifty and exciting as you can inform others who share the same common interest as you even more about that same common interest. 

Overall, the blog was a breeze to make and maintain because I truly enjoy the topic of dreaming. I would love to shove all the knowledge that is out there on dreams into my head but since there is so much I haven't been able to really satisfy my ravenous mind, which was the main challenge I found with running the blog. I wanted to learn so much and be able to share it all as well but I didn't have all that time or all the resources to be doing so. This is why I plan on continuing the blog past the point of being a class project. I still have much to learn about dreaming and although I will not be posting as frequently, I will most definitely keep on sharing as much as I find as often as I find it. 

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog, I'm glad that you're going to continue to learn more about Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is beautifully designed, thoughtfully crafted, highly entertaining, and informative. This last post made me a little emotional because when I planned this assignment, what you have expressed about the process is what I hoped for all: that it would teach valuable skills as well as inspire learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your blog Katrina. I hope you contintue with it because it is very inspirational and addicting to read. After reading your posts I feel compelled to do whatever they are stating. Dreams are a very complex and crazy part of our lives, and I'm glad I got the chance to learn about them through your blog.

    ReplyDelete